SA govt extends deployment of soldiers following last month's unrest
Cape Town
18-August-2021

Photo:IANS
The Parliament of South Africa has said that it has been informed by President Cyril Ramaphosa about extending the mission of troops who are authorised to fight against last month's unrest.
Ramaphosa in his correspondence told the parliament that 10,000 of the deployed members of the South African National Defence Force will continue to cooperate with the South African Police Service in the prevention and combating of crime and preservation of law and order within the country, at least until Sept. 13, the parliament said in a statement issued here.
The extension is expected to cost nearly 255 million rands (about 17.1 million U.S. dollars), in addition to over 615 million rands planned for the initial deployment.
Zuma was serving a 15-month sentence in prison since July before he was hospitalized outside the prison for medical observation and undergone a surgical procedure.-IANS
More Headlines
Speculation Grows Over Annamalai’s Exit as Tamil Nadu BJP Chief
Pastor Bajinder Singh Sentenced to Life in 2018 Rape Case
Sunita Williams Recalls Stunning Views of India From Space
Indian TT Legend Sharath Kamal Retires After Decorated Two-Decade Career
IB Officer Who Died By Suicide In Kerala Was In Relationship With Colleague, Says Father
Speculation Grows Over Annamalai’s Exit as Tamil Nadu BJP Chief
Pastor Bajinder Singh Sentenced to Life in 2018 Rape Case
Sunita Williams Recalls Stunning Views of India From Space
Indian TT Legend Sharath Kamal Retires After Decorated Two-Decade Career
IB Officer Who Died By Suicide In Kerala Was In Relationship With Colleague, Says Father